Custom Jersey Information
Important links regarding custom team jerseys or tees.
Questions? Please contact WI League C0-Director Kathy Mock at email@example.com.
Jersey or uniforms in varsity sports like hockey, cross country, or baseball don’t have manufacturer’s logos or company names featured. We want student athletes to build pride in their teams by representing their schools or communities, and not be subject to any commercialization of the sport.
WI League Team Jersey Policy
The policy of the WI League is to have only area names, high school names, logos, or mascots featured on racing apparel used in WI League races. No company or manufacturers names or logos other than the apparel manufacturer will be allowed on racing apparel used in WI League races. Riders or coaches using racing apparel that violate this policy will be subject to disqualification.
— See examples of an incorrect and correct jersey – SEE EXAMPLES BELOW
- Will there be an official WI League jersey?
Yes. Following NICA protocol, WI League will have official league jerseys for sale. These jerseys, made by NICA national sponsor Podiumwear, will feature NICA’s national sponsors. One version of this jersey will be for sale to help raise funds for the WI League. A second version of this jersey will be the “Leaders Jersey” given to the top scorers in each category.
- What are some jersey options for teams in the WI League?
First of all, in bicycle racing, the word “kit” is used to describe the matching jersey and shorts worn by racers. So our racers will have the ability to order custom made “kits” from NICA national sponsor Podiumwear.
- No jersey – jerseys aren’t required, although bike racing jerseys often come with handy pockets in the back for spare tubes, energy bars, etc. You can race in a t-shirt if you want, however, all team members must wear the same color t-shirt. In addition, t-shirts and shorts won in WI League races must meet WI League Racing Apparel policy guidelines. We do not allow any team sponsors on team jerseys. We only allow the name of the team, the NICA logo, Wisconsin League logo and the Podiumwear logo. You don’t need bike shorts, either, but because they’re heavily padded, we recommend using them. Your local bike shop will have a selection.
- Team specific jerseys – if you want to go this route, you can order custom-made jerseys or kits (matching jersey and shorts). Take a look at two custom apparel companies. Both of these companies can provide templates for you to design your own jersey and shorts. Each company has provided a special pricing program, see PDF programs at top of page.
- Can student athletes race in t-shirts the teams design instead of custom made jerseys?
Yes, you can race in t-shirts for this first year to save costs. However, the same policy applies – no manufacturer or company logos on t-shirts or shorts worn during the races.
- Ordering team jerseys will cost a few bucks. If we can’t sell logo space to companies or manufacturers, how can we raise funds for the team?
We’re not against having sponsors – we want to give exposure to your teams sponsors, just not on racing apparel. Our goal is to mimic the current practices of official high school sports and have apparel worn during the race that features only the school name or mascot. At our races, every team will have a large area within the Pit Zone where a team tent, tools, bikes, coolers, etc. will reside. Within this space, you can display logos on a team tent, or put large placards or banners on display in your team Pit Zone area. You can also display logos prominently on your team web site and in newsletter updates or presentations. You could also sell team t-shirts to be worn at school, in practices, around town, etc., that could display whatever logos you want.
- Are there guidelines for using NICA or WI League logos on jerseys, t-shirts, shorts, tents, banners, flags, etc?
Yes, please refer to the NICA Graphic Standards Guide, Team Graphics regarding color and placement of logos. Keep in mind that our “no company or manufacturer logo” policy on jerseys, t-shirts, or shorts worn in races is a WI League-specific policy not reflected in the NICA Graphic Standards Guide (pdf).
Questions – Please contact WI League C0-Director Kathy Mock at firstname.lastname@example.org.