Race Weather & Refund Policy
Below are the guidelines for how Wisconsin will conduct races in the event of challenging weather. Our primary considerations are the safety of racers, race support staff, race visitors, and potential damage to the race venue (trails and infield).
Any decisions regarding cancelling, postponing, or altering race start times, lap length, number of laps, etc. will be made jointly by the Wisconsin League Directors and the land manager. Often this decision cannot be made until the day of the race due to the unpredictable nature of wet or stormy weather. That said, we will do our best to make the call to change venue or reschedule a race by noon the Thursday immediately preceding race weekend.
The Wisconsin League will make every attempt to notify the racing population via email (addresses taken from rider, parent, and coach emails entered when registering in the Pit Zone online registration system), Facebook, Twitter, and web site updates as soon as possible.
Wisconsin Weather Guidelines
Races are held on their scheduled dates and times unless the race course or weather on the day of the race is deemed unrideable and/or dangerous. The Wisconsin League will have the option to delay the start of a race from the published times if the weather has created dangerous conditions.
Courses and/or lap lengths may be altered or shortened due to weather conditions. In which case, the WI League will advise of changes to the race course or lap count at the pre-race coach meeting if changes are known at that time. Last minute changes will be broadcast to racers at the start of each field via the staging and starting staff.
All racing will stop immediately in the presence of lightning and thunder. Course marshals will direct racers off of the course where they can seek shelter in vehicles, trailers/RVs, or buildings.
Restarting a Race
If a race has been stopped (and course cleared) due to lightning or another emergency, it may be restarted or declared over depending on the schedule and number of laps completed. If time permits, racers will be directed to re-stage at the start line and an abbreviated race will be conducted.
If a race venue is moved or a race is rescheduled, race fees will automatically be applied to the moved or rescheduled race. However, if race is cancelled due to weather conditions, race fees will not be refunded.
If a Race is Cancelled (unable to be moved/rescheduled)
No team points will be awarded and the race will not be included in the season’s overall team point standings. No individual points will be awarded and the race will not be included in the season overall individual point standings. Riders will still have a “drop race” available from the remaining races (IE: season overall standings will be calculated based on 3 of 4 per NICA rule 8.1) and the 25 series bonus points will be awarded based on completion of all races in the shortened series.
If a Race is Partially Completed (some fields complete their race and others do not)
No team points will be awarded and the race will not be included in the season overall team point standings. Individual points will be awarded in all of the fields that completed their race and those fields will proceed through the season as normal. No individual points will be awarded in the fields where races were not completed and the race will not be included in the season overall individual point standings. Riders will still have a “drop race” available from the remaining races (IE: season overall standings will be calculated based on 3 of 4 per NICA rule 8.1) and the 25 series bonus points will be awarded based on completion of all races in the shortened series.
Wisconsin High School Cycling League “Other Than Weather” Race Refund Policy
The Wisconsin League understands that money is valuable and that circumstances come up that can cause a change in plans. We want to work with you to put your money to good use wherever possible. We also forecast our race resource planning based on having a solid understanding of how many riders we are expecting. Based on these considerations we have adopted the following race fee refund guidelines for all requests not directly related to weather as noted in the above weather policy:
- Season fees pertain to a host of activities outside of racing and are generally not refundable once paid.
- Race fees for any given race will be refunded (minus a $10 service charge) as long as we receive an email BEFORE the day of the race. If you prefer, we will transfer race fees of a rider to a later race in the season with no service charge as long as we receive an email BEFORE the day of the race.
- No race fee refunds or transfers will be given once racing has begun on a given race weekend (if we receive your email on Friday for a middle school racer we will honor the refund or transfer, if we receive your email on Saturday for a high school race we will honor the refund or transfer).
- Note that we usually cannot respond to emails on race weekend (Friday through Sunday) so as long as the time and date stamp on your sent email meets the above guidelines we will honor it. It is highly unlikely we will respond with confirmation on a race weekend.
- Any requests for refund or transfer must be sent to Kathy Mock firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the name of the rider, the team of the rider (if any), and the race name or race date the request is for.
Contact Wisconsin League Co-Director Kathy Mock at email@example.com.